Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Rebuilt all three carbs on 2002 mariner 90 hp, replaced all

Customer Question

rebuilt all three carbs on 2002 mariner 90 hp, replaced all fuel lines from tank new filter, new fuel. cranks but want stay running.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: i am getting fuel to carbs, pump is working, checked for any leaks, none. motor will crank run for 15-20 seconds and then shuts off.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: not that I can think of, new plugs and filters
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Can I start by getting the serial number on the engine so I can see exactly what you have.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tim,It617544
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Tim, is that 1T or 0T?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OT
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Got it. You wrote that ". motor will crank run for 15-20 seconds and then shuts off."

Are you able to throttle it up in neutral and keep the RPMS up? Will it stay running that way?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Same, will crank runs a bit longer but dies
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Tim, I have to take a call with another customer, i'll be back with you as soon as I can.

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Sorry for that delay. Does your engine not stay running at all, any RPM, even high RPM?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Correct
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

How old is the fuel itself, and have you tried running it on a different fuel tank yet in order to rule out fuel tank issues?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All new fuel ethical free
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

1. have you tried running it on a different fuel tank yet in order to rule out fuel tank issues?

2. Has the engine been compression tested yet, and if yes what are the numbers?

3. Do any of the spark plugs have inner insulators that look white or clean, like a new spark plug?

4. Are you qualified to rebuild carbs, have you been through a carburetor school?

5. Has the engines spark output been checked?

6. When you rebuilt the carbs, was both the cabruretors and the timing synchronized as per the factory service manual?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Are you here?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Did you still want or need help with this Tim, or are you all set? We can do a phone call as well If you like, doing the call option definitely goes faster for the both of us, from your/the customer side you definitely get all the information you could possibly need.

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Tim. I saw that you requested a call. Did you still need help with this?