Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a Yamaha 8 hp which started making loud exhaust noise

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha 8 hp which started making loud exhaust noise even though the engine runs fine. What could this be?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I dont have any more to tell you except this noise started after I had engine trouble because of water in the fuel tank. I had drained the carb and flushed out the fuel hoses and tank. As I said the engine start quickly and runs great but is making excessive noise which it has never done before the water problem.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The engine is a 2 cycle 2002
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Good morning my name is***** read what you wrote. Is there any chance you can take a video with sound and upload it to youtube so I can hear this sounds for myself?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have no way of doing this. It is the same sound you hear when the engine is idling under normal conditions but much louder
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Is this engine used in salt or fresh water?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
fresh water
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

You are really not giving my anything to go on. I have no idea without at least being able to see a video of it.