Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1991 48spl and the trim goes down but not up ,the

Customer Question

I have a 1991 48spl and the trim goes down but not up ,the pump works both ways but no movement up,,
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: the pump motor operates both up and down but the engine will not go up,, down works good,,just no up
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: how hard is it to rebuild the pump under the motor
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is***** trim pump assemblies are for all intents and purposes not rebuildable, and if you have a problem with one the standard thing to do is to replace it with a new or used unit.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thanks sir
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome. The problem here is mutifold. The first is there are no real instructions for how to actually rebuild the unit. The 2nds is there are no troubleshooting guides that tell you "If X is your problem then look for Y". If and when the units fail, they would require specialty hydraulic repair shops, and because OMC is out of business, there are no hard parts other than a seal here or there to be hand any more. Because of all that nobody in the shops even touches them. Unfortunately there is no other option to replace the unit.

If you had any further questions on this issue by all means feel free to ask.

Thanks again and good luck!

Jason

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I will replace the unit thank u sir
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome. It was my pleasure.

Best,

Jason