Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Its a 2006 bf40 a, it will ot start when cold. you can

Customer Question
unhook the throttle linkage and...
its a 2006 bf40 a, it will ot start when cold. you can unhook the throttle linkage and giveir= a little gas ad it will start right up. check the sol. on top of carb and it reads 22 ohms.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: when the engine is cold, it will not start. you can unhook the throttle linkage from the carb and manual move the ottle and it will crank right up. the 2006 model donnot have an electric choke that I can see. also the coil on top of the carb on top reads 22 ohms.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: once you get t to crank and it runs a few minutes you can cut it off and it will ct=rank right back up.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/8/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is***** read what you wrote. Are you near the outboard now for a quick test?

no

When do you think you can get back to it?

tomorrow
it got new gas in it

Do this as a test and let me know what happens. Run the engine for roughly 6 to 7 minutes. After that time touch that solenoid on the top carb and let me know if it's noticeably warm to hot to the touch, or if it more or less feels room temperature.

ok but I unhooked it and ohm it out, it reads 22 ohms

I'm not interested in what it reads on the meter, i'm interested in if it gets hot or not.

from what I read about it , it wide open until youcrank it up then as it get warm it closes kool
how do I get up with you instead of someone else.

You would just reply right back here. your replies come back to me, and they do not go to anybody else.

ok thanks

You are very welcome. Lets see if this gets hot or not and we will take it from there. Enjoy the rest of your night. Jason.

check outboard today. after it ran for about 8 minutes the solenoid on top of carb was warm , if you press down slightly on top it was pretty warm. checked the voltage going out it was between 6 and 8 volts.

Got it. if it's warm then the actual solenoid is working, but that is not to say that the fuel passageway for the solenoid is not dirty as well, it could definitely be clogged up and not flowing fuel. That being said carbs do go out of syncornization over time just through wear and tear. In the shop what we would do is hook up the sync vacuum gauge to the outboard and see if the carb's were in sync or not. If they are out of sync then we would re-sync them, and retest it to see if that fixes the issue. If the carbs are in sync, or if it still has the same issue, then we would pull the carbs, tear them down, toss them in the ultrasonic machine, and give them a thorough cleaning/rebuilding and then re-installing them. Any time there is a hard start issue the most likely reason for that is incorrect fuel to air ration. The carbs do not have to be dirty by much in order to cause that hard starting. Does that all make sense.

That is where you stand on your end and what the problem is. I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

Hello, just checking in. No rating has been put through for my help yet. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic