Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

1987 merc 90 hp 6 cylinder, boat starts well but will not

Customer Question

1987 merc 90 hp 6 cylinder, boat starts well but will not idle. I cannot get it into gear without it stalling. Is that carburators or ignition?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: 1987 merc 90 hp 6 cylinder, boat starts well but will not idle. I cannot get it into gear without it stalling. Is that carburators or ignition?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: new ignition 7 years ago. I have not used the boat much in the last few years
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

It could be either one. Now we must check spark and compression to eliminate these as a possible cause. Since it has been sitting so long I'm going to say it is carburetion.

With engine running choke the engine does it run better?