Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2006 mercury 60ELPTEFI only owner. As I WOT it

I have a 2006 mercury 60ELPTEFI only owner. As I WOT it planes fine gets up to max speed at what my odometer says is 5800rpm gps 36mph then a short time later drops performance like crazy. RPMs drop then jump around anywhere from 2800 to 4000 while still WOT. Sometimes it runs fine again then the same thing happens not so bad in early morning but horrible when temp outside heats up. I have cleaned the screens in the vst which were clear pump runs fine tested. Also I'm in Florida and run salt occasionally. What is my issue.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hi Kris, my name is***** read what you wrote. Nobody is going to know what your issue is without any testing. What needs to happen is 2 things. Either 1, run the engine off of an alternative fuel tank and see if it does the same thing on a portable tank or not. And 2, if it does do the same thing on the portable tank, hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the engine and see if fuel pressure holds steady or see if it's dropping when engine RPMS's drop. Is that something you can do?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that was an option I was looking into, was portable fuel tank and checking the vst pressure. When I try this how long will I have to message you back before I must pay again.

Oh there are no time limits here so take your time. Simply post back here once you have some results and we can take it from there. Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I thought I tested my vst pump, but a local mechanic said pulling it out and testing on a 12vt battery to hear it whine doesn't mean it's working. Is that right?

If the engine runs then the VST pumps is working to some degree. If the pump was totally dead there would be zero fuel pressure, and the engine would not start at all.

Hello, any progress on checking the fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Had to order a fuel pressure tester couldn't find one where I live or that I thought would fit. Meanwhile I'm going to change out my spark plugs in and check my coil packs .

To check the coil packs what you are going to need is an adjustable gap spark testing tool. You can get these at most better auto parts stores or someplace like amazon. Click this link to watch a video, this is actually a car but the process for checking coil output is the same on a car as it is on an outboard - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5dn0zurj2Q

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. Just was a recommendation from a friend having the same issue with a truck.

You are most welcome. Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The video didn't seem to help. The coil on my outboard just has an electrical wire snapped in on one side and a spark nipple (don't know the actual name) on other. I got a gap tester how would I test the coil.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmdtJXUzZps&feature=youtu.beVideo of the issue I'm havung

I see it. Run the engine off of a different fuel tank, such as a portable, and let me know if it does the same thing on the portable tank.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I tested it will a fuel container and no difference also ran sea foam through it and no change in performance.

Are you able to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the motor in order to see if fuel pressure is dropping when the engine looses power?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I can't find a pressure gauge that fits over the valve. Any brands of gauge you can suggest.

Snap on or OTC.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK I fix the problem boat is running like a champ again. Found out mercury had fuel line hoses that disintegrate from the inside I was getting brown flakes in my fuel filter. Pulled the fuel line hose off the outboard and there was Built up debris from the hose clogged it surprised I was getting any fuel to the engine. I replace the bulb and the line with automotive fuel line should hold up better.

Glad to hear you got it. That debris would have shown up as low fuel pressure if we had tested it. On the fuel line, you really want to switch that to marine grade fuel line for 2 reasons. The first is it's technically illegal to run automotive fuel line in a boat. But the 2nd reason is it simply will not hold up to the sun. If you have a length of fuel line between the motor and boat that is exposed to the sun it is going to be rotten in a few months time, and you will be back to where you started.

I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for that didn't think about it. Is there a fuel line you trust that haven't had problems.

The stuff I use comes from Evinrude directly, but you can get fuel line from any dealer. You want what is called low permeability fuel line.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks I'll get some.

You are very welcome. Please keep in mind that thanking me does not pay me, only selecting rating for my help is what pays me. The ratings box is located at the top of your screen, if you do not see it you might have to scroll up. If you still can not see it, or have a hard time when trying to select a rating for my help, please let me know and I will alert the moderators.

Thanks again and good luck!

Jason