Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My searay has worked well til today. It quit working & there…

Customer Question
My searay has worked well...
My searay has worked well til today. It quit working & there were 2lound knocks & lower unit oil is all over the place
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Donna, my name is***** read what you wrote. Is there lower unit oil inside of the boat, under the engine, or is the lower unit leaking on the outside?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Under the motor & 2 loud bangs & it won't start dead in water

On the front of the engine there is a gear lube bottle. Are you able to tell if that bottle is full or empty?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Inside the boat

It sounds like the sterndrive likely blew it's gear set. The next step would be drain gear lube out completely and see if you get metal chunks out of the sterndrive. Is that something you can do?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That gear lube top flew off it stunk so we came back slowly & found the top was off -it was low so we refilled it started it then added more to fill it up after idling

Did you see my previous reply?

Are you still with me?

You offered to pay Justanswer 37 dollars to speak with me, which they did charge you for, and I have been sitting here patiently waiting for you. Did you still need help with this or not?