Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1968 1250 mercruiser, It doesn't have reverse since…

Customer Question
I have a 1968...

I have a 1968 1250 mercruiser, It doesn't have reverse since my nephew had the lower unit swapped with a used one. I had it on the water recentlyu ane I tried reverse just to se what it did and it seems to have stuck in limbo. It wouldn't go into drive after that and seems to be sort of in a forward gear bur it doesnt respond when I run up the throttle. I just keeps creeping forward no matter where I put the shifter

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

You didn't get the long reply I just sent???

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
4/1/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Mercrusier engines are cataloged by serial number. Is there a serial number legible on the sterdrive so I can see exactly what you have? If not, can you take some pictures of it so I can see what you have?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am Greg Gayler, I live in Pittsburg, Ca,ifornia

Hi Greg. Got it. Do you know where the shift cable is located in the boat? (It's behind the engine) Are you able to see that cable?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I take the doghouse off I am
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried to see if there was room for adjustment but it seemed to be all the way out.

Well, you don't want to touch the adjustment just yet. What you want to do is remove the cable from the inner transom plate. Start the engine up, and then attempt to shift it into gear by hand by sliding the cable in and out, and seeing if it will go into either gear or not. If it does, then there is an adjustment issue. If it does not, then the sterndrive is likely not installed correctly. Is that something you can do and let me know if it shifts or not?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll take a look,,, "inner transom plate?"

Inner transom plate is the transom plate that is behind the engine, on the inside of the boat. Your shift cables are located there. There is an upper and a lower cable. The upper cable runs to your shifter, the lower cable runs through the transom and into the sterndrive. The one you want to disconnect and shift by hand is the lower cable.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is an outboard, 2 stroke we're talking about right?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1968
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's on a 16' Steven's hull, all original except the upholstry

Uhmmm.... You said it was a Mercruiser. Mercruiser does not make outboard engines. Mercruiser makes sterndrive engines. I will opt out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, it's a Murcury 1250, 1968
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nobody wats to work on it. it's too old for all the mechanics around here.
Marine Mechanic: Shane Creekmore, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Shane Creekmore
Shane Creekmore, Marine Mechanic

hey there. I responded to your other request. Didn't see this one