Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I HAVE 1 1996 MERCURY 2 STROKE. WILL NOT START. TRIED

Customer Question
HI, I HAVE 1 1996 MERCURY...
HI,
I HAVE 1 1996 MERCURY 2 STROKE. WILL NOT START. TRIED STARTING FLUID IN CARB AND IN SPARK PLUG HOLES. STRONG SPARK, COMPRESSION 115psi. ANY IDEAS PLEASE?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is***** engines are cataloged by serial number, do you happen to have that number handy so I can run it and see exactly what you have? Next, what is the history on this engine, when was the last time it started and ran?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll get the serial number as soon as I am out of work. It's been sitting a long time per the guy I bought it from. Don't know about the history, but the engine is clean, no rust. I had to replace the trigger to get spark.

Got it. There is a right way and a wrong way to check for spark. Are you checking it with a timing light, or just grounding a plug to the block?

Are you still with me?

I'm here patiently waiting for you. The website did charge you to speak with me. Did you want help with this or did you want to call it quits?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry, stepped away to work. I just grounded the spark plugs

Okay grounding the plugs is not the correct way to check for spark. The engine can have weak spark, enough to fire the plugs when grounded, but not enough to fire the plugs under a load. The best way to check for spark is by hooking up a timing light to each plug wire one at a time, and cranking the engine over. If the timing light flashes, there is spark, if it doesn't flash, there is no spark. Is that something you can do and get back to me on, or what would you like to do?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would like to try. I suspect the timing light will not light since I tried everything dad and I could think of. I checked the stator, and new trigger resistance and they are fine. What should if timing light doesn't light?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I get back to you after I try timing light?

I'm not sure which ignition system you have without that serial number, so I can't answer that yet. To get back to me, just log into justanswer.com and on the upper right click on "my questons", and that will bring you back to here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
serial # 0G671114

Got it. Did you check for spark with the timing light yet?

Just checking in. How are you making out?