Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

2004 four wins with a mercruiser 260hp. Getting the warning

Customer Question

2004 four wins with a mercruiser 260hp. Getting the warning beeps then the solid tone if I continue. Guages say oil pressure and temp are good. Not low on drive oil. What could it be?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: had alternator replaced recently
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The problem you are describing can be due to a bad sensor since all the critical things in the engine seem to be ok. Best way to proceed here is to connect a diagnostic tool to the engine to determine exactly what is wrong with the engine. It could be the oil reservoir float switch that got stuck in the down position or a bad oil pressure switch (as it is different from the gauge). You would need to start from there as otherwise it will be a trial and error situation. If you have further questions or require further assistance let me know.

Noel