Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

My 1999 Sea Ray was in the bay about 100 yds from shore when

it just stopped. Started again...
My 1999 Sea Ray was in the bay about 100 yds from shore when it just stopped. Started again, went a few feet, and died. Alert buzzer did not come on. Towed to dock. Had to go out of town. Came back, tried to start and got loud buzzing sound. Looked at engine hold and saw a lot of oil and some water. Had a lot of work done within last three years. Any ideas?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I could tell him all the work that was done within last two years or so.
1/11/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is Jason

Which engine do you have in the boat? Is that engine carbureted or fuel injected? Model or serial numbers would be best.

1999 27DA, 7.4 Mercruiser Bravo, OL085632.
Within the last year, the following work was done:
replaced circ. pump and pulley, repl. Idler pulley, bushing and trunnion pin, new batt. charger, test run on lift, no leaks, new seawater pump, V6V8, thermostat kit, thermostat housing sleeve.Two years ago, repaired alternator, removed riser and replace gasket, new fuel filter.Four years ago, repaired R&R Y pipe, replaced gimble, replc. cleaning injectors, Oring kit, intake gasket, greased splines, new impleller and body Merc pump, removed reseal and reinstalled Trim Rams.
Boat is out of the water most of the time. It is used in saltwater. Thanks.

Good morning and sorry for the delay. We are all contractors and do not work in an office building for the website. When you replied back last night I was already off to bed.

Have you done any kind of checking on your own yet such as checking for spark output, checking fuel pressure, checking compression, seeing if it will start with starting fluid, or hooking it up to a scan tool?

No. When I looked in the bilge it was covered with oil and water. One guy said I had to have the engine pulled to find out anything, but he also recommended a full repower so don't know what to do.

The oil could be from the engine or it could be from the sterndrive. Did you check the dipstick on the engine to see if there was oil in it?

No, didn't check the oil. Is there a big difference between it being in the engine versus being in the sterndrive?

The sterndrives input shaft goes right through the transom of the boat and into the back of the engine. When the input shaft seals leak, oil will get pushed through the transom and it will end up in the bilge of the boat. Does the engine crank over when you turn the key, or is it locked up?

It cranked over a couple of times, and then it froze.

Okay so at this point it could be the engine that's frozen or it could be the sterndrive that is frozen. The sterndrive has gears and bearings in it that do turn even when the unit is in the neutral gear position. If the sterndrive is what is leaking, and if it ran down on oil, that can cause the gears to blow out. When the gears blow out and lock up, that will cause the engine to come to a stop as well. Right now what needs to happen is the sterndrive needs to be pulled. Once the sterndrive is off the engine needs to be tried again. Its either going to be a blown engine and the sterndrive is fine, or it's going to be the other way around, and the engine is fine and the sterndrive is what is locked up. Does that make sense.

I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

1. Should I assume pulling the sterndrive is as expensive as pulling the engine? 2. If it's either one, what are the solutions; a whole new sterndrive or engine or can be repairs be done to lessen my expense? 3. One guy says he will pull the engine and check it for about $500, but it's basically like giving him a blank check for what he may have to do. He quoted me around $29,000 for a whole repower, transom etc.
Should I check the oil level in the engine first before anything else?

You should definitely check the oil level first, that will take 10 seconds to do. If the oil level is full and the oil is relatively clean then odds are in your favor that the engine is good and the drive is bad. If the oil level shows empty or if the oil is mixed with water, then obviously that would not be good.

1. Should I assume pulling the sterndrive is as expensive as pulling the engine?

No. Pulling a sterndrive is 20 minutes worth of work, pulling the engine can take anywhere from 4 to 6 hours.

2. If it's either one, what are the solutions; a whole new sterndrive or engine or can be repairs be done to lessen my expense?

Sterndrives can be rebuilt. When the sterndrives do leak and blow gear sets it is typically the upper gear set that goes out. To re-seal and re-gear your sterndrive would run approximately 1500 to 1800 total in parts and labor.

3. One guy says he will pull the engine and check it for about $500, but it's basically like giving him a blank check for what he may have to do. He quoted me around $29,000 for a whole repower, transom etc.

Okay this "guy" you definitely should not be using. There is no need to pull the engine to check it, the engine can be checked while still mounted in in the boat. Pulling the sterndrive is only 20 minutes worth of work. For any competent mechanic he should be able to tell you what is wrong in under 1 hours labor time. Assuming the boat is either on a trailer or already hauled out and up on blocks, and assuming the battery is good and ready to go, it's not much time at all to isolate the engine from the sterndrive and figure out which one is locked up and which one is not. Obviously it could go either way, but odds are it's the sterndrive that is the issue and not the engine.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
OK. You've been great. Thanks.
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic