Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2003 Yamaha 15 hp, 4-stroke mounted in a well--and

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Yamaha 15 hp, 4-stroke mounted in a well--and fully enclosed with the floor closed around the lower unit and the upper exhaust relief hole ducted thru the transom. The primary exhaust is below the water thru the prop, of course. Even with the power head fully exposed (for air flow) this motor never really "smooths out" at any speed setting. The installation is in a converted sailboat hull that is now a displacement-speed power boat (max 7 knots). The motor starts and runs reliably. Just never loses its vibration. The prop isn't dinged or apparently bent. I have disassembled and inspected the carb, with no change. There is a water separator, new fuel lines, and new tank with clean fuel. Swapped plugs to hotter set. hich brings me to my question.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Electronics Specialist should know?
Customer: Oops. I didn't mean to send yet. My question. Can the timing be off? Is there a belt, like in a car engine that could be slipping/stretched?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Does the motor vibrate in neutral as well as in gear, or only when in gear?