Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Volvo penta 225D, Just bought this boat. We are getting the

Customer Question

Volvo penta 225D , Just bought this boat. We are getting the engine ready to start. Noticed the shifter will not go in reverse. Does the motor have to be running in order to do this?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Not at this time. Oh, the boat has been sitting for a year or so. WE are greasing connection and doing a routine maintenance thing, Points, plugs, etc.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

The engine should always be running when shifting the drive in and out of gear.

You also need to change the gear lube in the drive. Use SAE 30 weight motor oil.

Have you done a compression test on the engine?

Post back if you still have an issue.