Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have df140 2002 zuzuki that will run for a while then will

Customer Question

I have df140 2002 zuzuki that will run for a while then will go in safe mode plug 2 looks like new plugs 134 cream color after motor sits for awhile it will run for awhile then goes back to safe mode
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

I read what you wrote. What kinds of questions did you have?

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Are you still with me?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My name is Randy.
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Hi Randy. I read what you wrote. What kinds of questions did you have?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I want to know what why my motor will run for awhile then quit v
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Is it actually stalling out? Or is it going into a power reduction mode but still staying running?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Goes to power reduction mode (2000 rpm) but keeps running
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Does the boat have a Suzuki system tach on it with the check engine light? If yes, is the check engine light or any other light coming on? Does the alarm system work on the boat, and if yes, does the alarm beep when this happens?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No lights come on and alarm system does not come on
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Does the alarm system work on the boat?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The alarm system does not work. How can I talk to someone. There is too much to text
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

This isn't something i'm going to be able to help you with, you will need to take it to the shop.

Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

The way that your engine is designed, it cannot cut spark to just one cylinder, but it can cut of the fuel flow. With the #2 plug being white, I would say that it is not running on that cylinder at all. This could be due to a bad plug. They can be bad right out of the box. For starters, I would either swap that plug to a different location or just replace it with a new one. Then run the engine, if it still goes into power reduction, you will either need to get it to a shop and have it scanned, or repair the alarm system in the boat to get the code light from the ECU. After that you can repair the sensor that is causing the issue.