Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1968 Merc 500SS and would like to go through the…

I have a 1968...

I have a 1968 Merc 500SS and would like to go through the timing and adjusting on this motor. It runs pretty good but the transition from idle to med speed is not very good. Thanks, JIM

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The marine mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the marine mechanic should be aware of?

Don't think so !!

11/15/2016
Marine Mechanic: K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic replied 5 years ago
K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic

Hi, my name is Kerry

It's been a while since I've worked on one of these, I don't have the manual here but given time,

a day or two, I'm pretty sure I can get detailed instructions.

Having said that, the timing/synchronizing on these engines doesn't go out of whack unless some work is done

on the engine to change things.

Has any work been done recently, carb kits for instance?

What's the repair history for the last couple years?

Do any of the throttle/timing linkage parts look worn?

Has the timing pointer been removed recently?

This could happen if work was done on the engine.

If it has, the first step involves using a dial indicator to locate top dead center.

It it hasn't, the pointer will be in the right place to continue with timing / synchronizing.

Hm, some engines don't have a removable timing pointer.

Since I don't have the manual here, I may have spoke too soon.

I will make a call in the morning and see if I can't get that detailed information.

You have a classic old engine, has a magneto ignition, doesn't it?

No it's early electronic ign. The main thing I need is to know when the ign advance is to pick up the carb advance ! Jim

Okay, I'll check the spec on that in the morning.

Do you happen to have the serial number?

1968 Merc 500SS

Got it.

Timing at throttle pick-up.

I can find out after 8 am in the morning Pacific Time.

Great bedtime here

Goodnight

Throttle pick-up is 7 to 9 degrees.

Max timing is 35 degrees but with today's gas you may want to drop that to 32 or so.

Cool and thanks !!!!

Cheers, ***** ***** solves it for you.

K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic