Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 1995 Sea Ray 500 Sundancer my Halon system

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Sea Ray 500 Sundancer my Halon system discharged in the engine compartment and now my port engine will not start how can I get my engine to restart.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Halon works by interrupting the fire triangle. Not allowing the fuel, oxygen and the spark to intermix. With it going off in the engine bay, you are going to need to vent the bay out to allow more air, to displace the halon. Once this is done, if the engine will still not start, you will need to look at the ignition components to make sure that you are still getting spark to the engine. If the nozzle for the system is right above the coil on this engine, it could have been enough force when discharged to penetrate the coil and damage it.

Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Sry, check the glow plugs to make sure that they are still working.