Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a Mercury fourstroke 50while out on the water the

Customer Question

I have a Mercury fourstroke 50while out on the water the engine stopped. Found in engine that the 15 amp fuse was blown. When I tried to replace it it shorted right out
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I'm not sure where the fuse goes but the engine will not do anything. If I hot wire to starter it will crank but will not start
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no that's it.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number. I will need that number so that I can run it and see exactly which engine you have.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Bill
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Hi Bill

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Did you have the serial number handy?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
where can I find that
It's a 2013 tracker mercury 50 fourstoke
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

It's on a sticker on the clamp bracket portion of the outboard, starboard side.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok be right back
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Okay

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
BUJ11909J23
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

That's not it. The serial number will have 1 number, 1 letter, and 6 more numbers in it. For example, 0A123456, 1B654321 ect ect

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
iT'S A 50 efi 4CYL (995CC)
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Again I would need the serial number, that's the only way I know which service manual to pull. Without it I simply can not help you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Great I'll look again but the hull serial plate is all that I can see
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

You need to look on the outboard, where it bolts to the transom. It's on a sticker on the right hand side of the bracket that bolts to the transom.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1C196101
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Got it. Next, does the fuse blow as soon as you insert a new one, or does it blow when you turn the key?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The fuse that is blown is the 15 amp fuse in engine the on port side. It blows as soon as you try to insert it
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
With key out
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

You've got some kind of short circuit, this isn't going to be easy to figure out and not something that can be done over a computer. You'll have to take this one in

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok I knew that I just was hoping that you could identify the component that the fuse is going, but thanks anyway