Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a suntracker 24 ft pontoon 2017 with a 150ho mercury

Customer Question

I have a suntracker 24 ft pontoon 2017 with a 150ho mercury 4 stroke manual steering when you let go of the wheel it turns hard to the right running it at 3000 rpm you have to hold on to wheel tight can I put a trim tab on the bottom of the motor there is none now
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no machine has had 1/2 tank run through it bass pro says this is the chaaristic of it
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.

There are a few things that you can try, trim the engine up slightly to see if this will lessen the torque on the steering. If you do feel that you do need a trim tab, you may need to go with a smaller diameter prop as the prop that you have may make contact with the blade on the trim tab. You could also try an aftermarket trim tab that is screwed to the trailing edge of the gear case. As a last resort, you can replace the helm with with a Zero Feedback type. This will reduce all of the torque that the engine is producing.