Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Upon examination for winterizing both my shrinkwrap

installer and myself were unable...
Upon examination for winterizing both my shrinkwrap installer and myself were unable to find the lower unit oil drain screw. This is a two season old mercury 4 stroke 90 hp. I have been changing gear oil in mercs for 40 years and there is no plug where it should be.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No, its located on a shrink wrapped pontoon, but the area in question is easily visible.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/18/2016
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Are you trying to drain/change the gear lube out of the lower unit?

Do you happen to have the serial number handy on your outboard?

Are you with me?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't have the serial number available. It is a 2015 90hp 4 stroke. Just trying to find the drain plug so that I can change the oil in the future.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is the lower unit I am concerned about.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you there?

I'm here now, I was waiting on you earlier. Give me just a moment, I will upload a picture showing both the location as well as the filling procedure on this lower.

I'm attaching the file now, see attachment

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The problem is there is no screw to drain oil in the lower unit where it is marked in your diagram. It is like they didn't machine one in during machining of the gearcase.

I'm sure it's there, if there wasn't one there then there would be no way to fill it, and it would never have oil in it, and it would have seized from lack of lubrication 2 years ago.

Has anybody ever painted over your lower unit, or done any welding work on it? Can you take a bunch of pictures of it for me so I can see it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has not been painted or welded. There is a smallish hole up at the front of the gearcase, but it is not large enough and does not appear to be threaded. Will go out and try to get pictures.

Okay take as many pictures as you can from different angles, especially on the lower units right side.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I get you the pictures, email, or mobile phone(text)

There is an add files button on the screen. You click on that and select the file to upload.

Any luck with the pictures?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
files were uploaded

Nothing came through on my end. Click this link, this will explain how to upload pictures - http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142

Also please note that the website is designed to work with PC's running the Firefox or Chrome web browsers only. If you are on a cell phone, tablet, ipad or anything else website functionality is going to be hit and miss

Any luck?

Did you every have any luck with those pictures?

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic