Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 454 Crusader enginge in my Gibson house boat that

Customer Question

I have a 454 Crusader enginge in my Gibson house boat that is frozzen It's fuel injected. How do I figure out if it's a right or left tuning in engine? When do I find a long block that is well built to replace it? I'm in San Diego, CA
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Not at this time. It's frozen from not being run for 5 years. The pair only have 500 hours on them. The cyclinders are clean when I scoped them.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Have you tried to turn the engine over with the spark plugs out?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
all plugs are out and I video scoped the cyclindars There clean I put a 3 ft bar on the crank to try to turn it not a budge
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

What does the engine oil look like? If all cylinders are clean something else is causing the problem. Have you removed all the belts and tried turning the engine?

What does the transmission fluid look like?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All belts are off All fluids look good and smell normal
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I need a name of a local marine engine mechanic who can long block this engine Do you have a list I'm in San Diego CA
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

I can't recommend anyone in San Diego as I live in Az.

Your best bet is to call around the Marinas and ask if they have a builder.

Now I can give you a company that we use online.

Can you get me the model year of the engine please?

Before you go buying a new engine you need to try to determine what the problem is. You could replace the engine and still have the problem. If the starter is stuck engaged it will keep engine from turning, seized transmission.