Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2007 Mercury 4-cycle Outboard on my pontoon boat.

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Mercury 4-cycle Outboard on my pontoon boat. There is a problem with the power trim. It will only raise the motor about 4 inches, then something seems to be blocking it from going up any higher. When that happens, the power trim motor starts groaning when it is stuck. Also, the transmission oil is leaking between the manifold and the power trim fluid reservoir. So I have refilled several times but the power trim still will not go up. The relays are sending current to the motor but the power trim will not go up.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What is the history on the outboard? When did the power trim last work correctly?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My name is***** outboard was working perfectly on Friday until we were bringing the boat back in. When we tried to raise up the motor in shallow water, the power trim only brought the motor up a few inches. It would go back down but not come up any farther. We noticed some oil on the water surface. The next day, we pulled the boat out of the water and could see the power trim fluid dripping out between the manifold and power trim reservoir. We have looked and looked but cannot see anything blocking motor from rising.
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Hi Paul,
Out of curiosity do you boat in fresh or saltwater?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
fresh water
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Got it. If it's leaking that leak will obviously need to be repaired, and the unit refilled with power trim fluid. When the fluid gets low the outboard will not lift all the way up. Whether or not the trim unit has another problem on top of that can't be known until the leak is repaired first. That being said, did you have any specific questions that you wanted me to answer? Did you need pictures of the parts involved or anything like that?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
As I stated at the beginning.." I have refilled several times but the power trim still will not go up". When the reservoir was full, I tried to lift the motor. How can I repair the leak? Yes, please send pictures of the parts involved.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
As I stated at the beginning.." I have refilled several times but the power trim still will not go up". Even when I try to lift the motor MANUALLY, something is blocking it and it will not go up. Can you give me clues as to what might have it locked up? Also, When the reservoir was filled several times, I tried to lift the motor both manually and with power trim and it is still "locked.". Must I take the motor to a local mechanic to have the leak repaired? Yes, please send pictures of the parts involved.