Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2007 Mercury 4-cycle Outboard for my pontoon boat.

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Mercury 4-cycle Outboard for my pontoon boat. The power trim is "stuck". The transmission oil is leaking but I refilled and it still will not go up. The relays are sending current to the motor but the motor will not trim up.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no, only the power trim
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

Would you please post the serial number of the engine?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ELPTEFI
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
40 HP
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Serial # of engine: 1CO38968
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

Got it thanks.

Does the motor run when any of the trim switches are pushed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
motor runs fine. At first, the motor would come up a little but now it groans and will not budge. I have looked carefully for any obstruction but could see none. Also, cannot stop the leaking of transmission fluid that is coming out below fill cap.
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

Is the engine tilted up or down currently? Have you tried to tilt it manually to see if it is stuck?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The boat is on the trailer.) Engine is tilted down. I can lift it up manually but it will not stay up or trim up.
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

Make sure that the manual relief valve is tight.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am not familiar with the manual relief valve. Where is it and what does it look like? I have the owners manual but there is no diagram of all the parts.
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

It is on the right side of the trim unit. It is plastic and has a flat head screwdriver slot in it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have seen a plastic cap with a flat head screwdriver slot directly under the power trim reservoir (cylinder). That is what I unscrewed to put in more transmission fluid. (The fluid was leaking out before I removed that plastic cap.) Is that the relief valve you asked about?
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

The fill cap is yellow. The manual valve is white.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the fill cap I removed is yellow. Where is the white valve in relation to the location of the yellow fill cap? Up, down, right, left? How many inches away, etc.?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay, I looked at the diagram. It's dark here in Georgia but I am going to take my flashlight out to my boat and see if I can find it. It will take me about 10 min.
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

No worries. There are no time limits here.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I believe I found it. Rather than white plastic, it's not exactly white. It is more like an aluminum color.I put my screwdriver in and it was totally tight. It's dark outside in Georgia now. I will be able to see the parts on the motor much easier tomorrow in daylight. What times are you available?
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

To see the valve, you need to look through a hole in the clamp bracket. It also has a metal "E" clip on it. In the morning, you could remove the clip, place a drain pan under the engine, open the valve about 2 turns, pick the motor up all the way and install the tilt lock. Then remove the valve totally, you will loose a bit of fluid from the trim, but that is ok. Inspect all of the O-rings on the valve and the tip of it. If it all looks good, reinstall the valve, then refill the trim fluid. Try to run the trim on the engine, you may need to bleed it some to get the air out and keep checking the fluid level. If after doing this, the trim will still not work, First I would get a new valve and replace it. If that does not get the trim functioning, it will need to come off the engine and be rebuilt.

After tonight, I will be off line for most of next week. I go in to get a knee replaced in the morning.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, it might take a few days to do all the things you suggest. If there is anything you need to know about having a knee replaced, my wife has had both of hers done 8 years ago and I had one replaced about 3 years ago. When I go though the steps you recommend, I would like to report to you what happens if that is ok.
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

Yes please get back to me on the engine.

My dad has has a knee done, as well as my boss and the neighbor across the street. They all report success with them. Dr. really did not want to do mine due to my age, but we have done everything else already.