Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Well I have a 1967 evinrude 60 HP sportfour motor and I am…

Well I have a...

Well I have a 1967 evinrude 60 HP sportfour motor and I am trying to get the throttle cable operating and can't seem to do that. I have the shifter cable working but not the throttle.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

It seems that when I get one working it affects the other.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Not that I can think of right now

Answered in 2 days by:
10/9/2016
Marine Mechanic: K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic replied 5 years ago
K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic

Hi, my name is Kerry

When you move the control lever, does the the throttle cable move?

If it doesn't move, the problem is either the cable itself or in the control.

Give me more info.

Just so you know, I'm going out for dinner in about an hour, I'll be out for most of the evening.

I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Enjoy your dinner and thank you for responding. Yes I readjusted the throttle cable and it moves the full motion. It is not a smooth steady motion though. The box was rebuilt and the cables move freely when not connected. I have a bad ignition coil now and will have a replacement on Tuesday. I obviously can't go to the parts store and get a coil for this old motor. I did get the shifter working well. Should the throttle cable work smoothly when the engine isn't running? As you have figured out by now working on a boat motor is not my specialty.

Yes, the cable should work smoothly when not connected.

It is possible that the cable is not the problem.

If the cable is disconnected, does the throttle on the engine work smoothly?

It should work smoothly when the engine isn't running.

The cable, that is, should move smoothly from idle to full throttle if disconnected.

Reading over this exchange, I sound scattered.

Give me a bit more detailed info in exactly what's happening.

I have a few minutes left before I leave.

I'll check in when I get back, in a few hours.

Give me as much info as you can.

I guess the real problem is that I can't get the throttle cable to go from idle to full throttle in a smooth motion. It is much better than when I started. I pushed the throttle handle all the way open and then adjusted the throttle cable to where it went on the motor with no resistance. That helped tremendously but I just can't get it to operate smoothly. I'm probably the one who is scattered. Thanks.

Hm, when I adjust a throttle cable I put the engine throttle linkage at the idle stop. Throttle closed.

Then I adjust the cable so that as soon as I move the lever past the shift point, the throttle starts to open.

The cable should move smoothly, I'm not sure if you have a cable problem or a control problem but if it

doesn't feel smooth there is a problem with one or the other or possibly with the linkage on the engine.

If you disconnect the engine, does the control work smoothly?

If you operate the engine throttle by hand with the cable disconnected, does it move smoothly?

I will work on it again tomorrow and give you more information. The throttle on the motor does seem hard to operate by itself. I'm not sure what would cause that or how to resolve it if that is the case. I know that it is late but I'm setting here looking at the original parts catalog and thought I'd throw that out there.

On the engine, the throttle linkage is connected to the ignition advance mechanism.

This contributes friction making it take a little force to move the throttle lever on the engine.

Also, each carburetor has a spring-loaded throttle plate adding to the force it takes to open the throttle.

I'm not sure if you have excessive friction or not, that could be the case if the ignition timer is dragging.

The ignition timer is under the flywheel but you can check it manually, if it moves back and forth through it's full travel without friction, then it's okay.

I'd like to see a parts diagram, do you have the model number?

Model # 60753 A
Serial # E 01025
60 HP

http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/39791.cfm

This is a 1968 ignition diagram, the closest I can find online for parts diagrams.

I'm assuming your engine is of a similar design.

#1 in the diagram is the distributor base, it rotates with opening of the throttle to advance the ignition timing.

#62 is a Teflon ring that fits around the distributor base to act as a bushing, it's usually lubricated with soft grease.

Check that the distributor base rotates freely, if it drags, you may need to remove the flywheel and clean and lubricate the bushing

and the groove it rides in.

K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic