Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have Mercury 150 xr6 after running then stop to fish bulb

Customer Question
will be empty but not...
I have Mercury 150 xr6 after running then stop to fish bulb will be empty but not collapsed I have put 2 new bulbs and it still does it. I can pump ball and runs fine at top speed never misses or cuts out. But I stop to fish a while again and bulb has no gas I pump then fine.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
10/2/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Rob, my name is Jason.

What you are describing isn't necessarily a problem. How long have you owned this engine for and has it ever been any different in the past for you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
4 years. Started last year intermittent wouldn't want to take gas to get on plane. Then it would at ran great at top speed. I had filter changed and diaphragm on pump and new bulb and hose

Okay. What kinds of questions did you have? How is it I can help you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What can cause this issue.

When you say "this issue" do yo mean intermittently not making full power?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The bulb will be out of gas after I run then stop to fish it has to be pumped. It's not concave just no gas.

That's normal. When the engine runs the fuel lines and bulb are under a vacuum. The bulb is never actually completely full of fuel when it runs, there is only some fuel in it. When you shut if off the vacuum stops, and some of that fuel can flow back to the tank.

Was there anything else?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I never had to pump bulb in past something is causing this.
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello. My name is Tan.

This is most likely the anti siphon valve in the top of the fuel tank. The anti siphon valve keeps the fuel from siphoning back into the tank and is a safety valve if the fuel line breaks and falls into the bilge it won't siphon all the gas into the bilge causing a fire explosion hazard.

What you will need to do is pull the fuel line off the connection on the fuel tank and remove the fitting. This fitting is the anti siphon valve. It has a spring and a ball that will stick causing the fuel to siphon back into the tank drain back into the tank.

Does this make sense?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've done that this one didn't have valve just nipple

Ok the only other thing that can cause this issue is blockage in the fuel supply in the tank. Have you run the engine on a different fuel source? Does it run the same?

We can do a test to verify a fuel restriction.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I have not. Could anything like carb or fuel pump cause this.

The fuel pump could cause this issue as it has check valves in it. You said the pump has been done? Did they do just a diaphram?

Usually you will have engine performance issues with a bad fuel pump. The carb will not cause this issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just diaphragm installed

Ok I would try the other fuel source to eliminate an issue with the boat side fuel system. If the engine runs the same then we need to do a complete rebuild on the fuel pump.

Post your engine serial number and I can get you the part number and a link to the rebuild kit for the fuel pump.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If it is pump would it run fine at top speed never an issue at top speed

Yes top speed will be fine. The valves can be bad and it will still pump fuel. If the valves are worn it will cause low speed problems and fuel siphoning back into the tank. So what is happening is the engine is loosing prime due to valve failure or a restriction in the tank causing a vacuum sucking the fuel out of the line when you shut engine off.

The most likely cause is the fuel pump.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks.

Your welcome.....Please don't forget to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get paid.

To rate click on the stars at the top of the page 3 or more please.

Follow up questions are always welcome.

Thank you.....Tan

Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician