How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tan Your Own Question
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Category: Boat
Satisfied Customers: 11052
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
Type Your Boat Question Here...
Tan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just bought a 32 ft carver it is a 320 Voyager 1996 year.

Customer Question

I just bought a 32 ft carver it is a 320 Voyager 1996 year. The cables for shifting into forward and reverse are bad and I need to replace them in the lower and upper stations. How do
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I get information on how to replace them.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I also have electrical issues but need to fix the cable issue first.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

To replace the cables disconnect at both ends then tie a piece of string to one end of the cable pull cable out. On the cable will be the length of cable stamped in the casing. If no length post any number you find and I can decipher the numbers.

To eliminate any confusion of what cable goes where label each string with a piece of masking tape. Now if you can locate the length of each cable before removal. The length is usually stamped near the ends of the cable. If you can get the lengths then you would just tape the new cable to the old cable and pull it through. Now the cable can have wire ties and clamps along the routing of the cables. Just remove or cut the cable ties.

Post back with questions and findings.

Thank you.....Tan