Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Can I ask about a 50hp outboard motor? bought new in 2008 -

Customer Question

Can I ask about a 50hp outboard motor?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: bought new in 2008 - it's a T50 yamaha outboard motor
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Happened today. A positive and negative wire on the battery was reversed by mistake. One of the 30amp fuses blew. After replacing it, it blows again when I try to start the engine.
JA: Anything else you want the instrument expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Category: Boat
Expert:  LongTermTech replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Your motor has some associated circuitry that was probably blown out by the power polarity reversal applied to it. Not just the fuse, but something else, now is shorted out by the damage caused by that mistake.

To fix it, the faulty or damaged component will have to be located.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my next step is what?

I'm not sure. I have asked that your question be transferred to the Small Engines category, but I am sure of that much since I am an Electronics categories Expert. Your question was wrongly sorted into Electronic Musical Instruments, but it will be reclassified soon, and then a Small Engine Expert will take up the case.

Having done all I could for the case, I have Opted Out, opening it to the Small Engines Expert that will take it up. Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Since I didn't get any answer (response) I would expect my $5 registration fee will be returned to me.