Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I have a 1977 Evinrude 55 hp outboard. The engine turns over

Customer Question

I have a 1977 Evinrude 55 hp outboard. The engine turns over but doesn't "catch". The choke works, the fuel is getting to the engine. The spark plugs are new. But, although the flywheel is spinning, it won't start up. Once in a while it does start and then it stays running. It is also more likely that the engine will start again within a couple of hours. The next day it will be difficult to start again.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I just bought the boat and engine this year, but it has a reputation for hard starting.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The first thing you need to check is if there is spark coming to both spark plugs. If there is spark coming to both plugs then from what you are saying, you need to remove the carb and get it cleaned.

If you require further assistance on this issue let me know.

Noel