Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I bought a Boat. A really nice shop kept 1996 bass boat. The

Customer Question
Good Afternoon: I bought a Boat...
Good Afternoon:
I bought a Boat. A really nice shop kept 1996 bass boat. The mercury 115hp is the one that came with the boat.
The owner hardly ever ran the boat.
His wife had it covered with sheets.
I saw and bought it.
But I have an issue with the outboard.
I understand the 1800 rpm cut-in from two cylinders to four.
It seems to do this with no problem.
Have a 1996 115-hp Mercury outboard with low hours. (under 80). It is on a 1996 Bass boat that is in excellent condition. The boat is kept indoors. Have ran/ pulled all the gas out put in new gas with additive for ethanol, replaced gas-line, bulb, fuel pump, accelerator pump, plugs, done compression check. #1,2,3 are 130 and # 4 is 135. Held them there for five minutes and no loss. Checked as per the manual the oil ratio, it is good.
Checked timing, cranking at low and WOT... it was a little off but is now good. Had the carbs redone and the mech said they are setup right. I had him check the reeds and he said they are fine.
Now.
It cranks up fine, idles fine, hole shot is good but I can not get it to W.O.T. it is like it starts missing or just does not want to maintain any RPM over 4000.
3k to 4k it is fine.
What am I missing?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
9/13/2016
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello Bryan. My name is Tan.

What you need to do is to run the boat up to full throttle and squeeze the [primer bulb does it run better? If no change then we need to check spark on all cylinders at full throttle. This is done with the use of a timing light. Connect the light to each cylinder and run the boat. Watch the flash of the timing light it should be steady with no dead spots. If you find a misfire swap that cylinders coil with a known good firing coil. Does the misfire move or stay?

Can you do these tests and post back with findings?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not right now.
But
I will do it as soon as I can. Will try as you suggest.

Ok that's fine keep me posted.

Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic