Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

2001 5.7 GSI Volvo Penta TBI injection. No injector pulse

Customer Question

2001 5.7 GSI Volvo Penta
TBI injection.
No injector pulse .... A very small light comes on one time on noid light when you first turn key on.
Key on ... I have 12v + on each side of the two injectors.....
Turn key on all sounds normal fuel pump pressures up and shuts off when pressure is reached. 30 psi while cranking .
I checked all connectors and grounds
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

GSI is a family of engines, there should be at least one more letter after the I degisnating the fuel model number. Can you double check your model number for me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in the cover and spec plate it say 5.7GSi Volvo Penta
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Which ignition system is on the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the distributor with a double plug control module inside I replaced the control module
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can pore gas in and it will run til the fuel runs out
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

What you will need to do is check and see if the engine has spark output or if there is also no spark. The easiest way to do this is to hook up a timing light and crank the engine over and see if the light flashes or not. Can you do this and let me know?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Nevermind, I just read that it runs when you pour fuel into it, so there will be spark. The engine needs to get hooked up to a scan tool in order to see if the ECM is operating properly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just said I can start the engine if I pour gas in so I must have spark I have no neg pulse to the injectors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With a noid light on the injector wires I do not get a flash when I crank the engine
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I don't think this is something I'm going to be able to help you with as the engine needs to get hooked up to a scan tool, and there are no shortcuts without a scan tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Good luck.