Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

My Mercruier 8.1 is dropping pressure starboard side, So my

Customer Question

hi My Mercruier 8.1 is dropping pressure starboard side
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: So my port Mercruiser (2003.5 Seray 340) idles at around 33 PSI and Cruises at 60 ish, Starboard around 22 and 32.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Oil level is good and looks clean, Its sounds a little rough under pressure
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

I read what you wrote. You didn't ask any kind of question. Did you have any general or specific questions that you wanted me to answer, or did you prefer if I explain what we would do in the shop if you brought this in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason. I guess my question is why is the pressure dropping on the engine and is it dangerous to use before I have it hauled in a month or so, and serviced properly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and my name is Guy.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Guy,

The first thing that needs to be found out is IF the pressure is actually dropping. Oil pressure gauges, and the sending units that feed the gauges a signal do go bad. On top of that, if there is corrosion in the wiring between the sending unit and gauge that can cause erroneous readings. What we would do in the shop is remove the sending unit from the engine and screw in it's place a mechanical oil pressure gauge and take the engines oil pressure manually. If the mechanical gauge gives a higher reading then we start looking at a bad sending unit or gauge.

If oil pressure is low on the mechanical gauge, step 2 is to change the engines oil and filter, say a little prayer, and see if pressure comes back up or not. A clogged oil filter can give a low reading on the gauge.

If pressure is still low, then your down to 3 possabilities. There is either 1. Sludge in the engine, 2 a bad oil pump, 3 bad crankshaft bearings causing a drop in pressure.

In any event, if the pressure does end up being low the engine will need to come out, oil pan removed, and the pump and bearings need to be inspected to see what is faulty, or to see if there is sludge in there.

Is the engine safe to run? The oil pressure is below spec. Spec is 30 at idle and 60 at 2000 rpms. You can probably get away with running it at a low rpm if you need to move the boat to a dock/launch, but I would not run the engine hard.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I don't know how you want to leave this but that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be checked. I think that should do it but I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Was there anything else Guy?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.

Thanks

Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I get a chance to read through absorb talk to a couple of other boaters and reply? I really didn't like this process one bit
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Yes of course you can. I would just hope you do not forget about me. Most people do not understand how our system works but you do pay the website to speak with me, but the website will not credit me for helping you out until you do a rating for me. Until ratings are done, I essentially am working/helping you for free. Questions never close out, and you are always more than welcome to reply back at any time, even after doing a rating.

Best,

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Thanks,

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

Jason