Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Steering not working on 1995 spectrum going across lake and

Customer Question

steering not working on 1995 spectrum going across lake and it felt locked then gave way but unable to steer the motor with steering wheel
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: took apart the steering box underneath the dash of the boat does not seem to be a problem there but put it all back together and still no steering from the wheel to the motor what could be the problem
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

You have either a broken steering cable or a stripped helm. Turn the steering wheel to the right does the end of the cable come out the help?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i am assuming its a broken steering cable
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

No if the cable doesn't come out the end of the helm it still could be either. Pull the cable out of the help then have a friend move the motor back and forth does the cable(red arrow) ?