Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Shane, I have a 1990 Evinrude 200XP that I recently

Customer Question

Hi Shane,
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I have a 1990 Evinrude 200XP that I recently experienced getting up on plane after the first time. After being off for a while I go to get it on plane and it boggs and shutters. New stator, new VRO, new power pack and 6 new NKG pl;ugs just replaced today. Any ideas on what I can do here?
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I think that is all at this time. Thanks, Rick
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for the confusion. I{ own a 1993 Evinrude 200XP that recently developed a problem of not wanting to get up on plane on my 21 foot bass boat. After the first start of the day the hole shot is perfect. Full RPM's and then right up on plane. I turn the motor off and fish for a short time then restart the motor, accelerate and it will not advance to get up on plane. New NKG plugs, new stator, new power pack and new VRO. Can you help? I am desperate!Thanks, *****
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Hi Rick, good morning my name is Jason.

Was this just a 1 time event, or can you duplicate this scenario over and over?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can duplicate it over and over. Today, the same scenario. First hole shot was on plane quickly and leveled out to 42 mph. We stopped and fished for 15 minutes. Started her up and tried to get up on plane again. The motor would not advance the rpms past 3000. Then I had my wife stand up on the bow. It finally got on plane after traveling 4 or 500 feet with the bow up and the motor tilted all the way dowThanks, *****
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

2 things need to happen

1. The problem needs to be duplicated first

2. After the problem has duplicicated itself, spark output needs to be checked by hooking up a timing light to each plug wire one at a time and seeing if the light flashes or not. Flash means spark, no flash is no spark.
Is that something you can do and report back to me on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Jason,Thanks again. I duplicated the problem so today I will check for spark and report back.
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Sounds good, let me know the results of your test and we will take it from there.