Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

115 HP OMC V4 NO PLUGS IN,,, TURNS EASY BY HAND ,,,,,,OLDER

Customer Question

115 HP OMC V4 NO PLUGS IN,,, TURNS EASY BY HAND ,,,,,,OLDER STARTER SPINS SEEMS TO GET HOT ,,,PUT IN 2 PLUGS STARTER STALLS WONT TURN ENGINE GOOD BATTERY ON BOOST CHARGER BUY NEW STARTER ??? GERALD KENDALL NY
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Hello Gerald. My name is Tan.

Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Ok we need to test the voltage at the battery cable connection on start solenoid with key ion crank position. What is your voltage reading?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
BATTERY VOLTAGE NO START 13.6 ,, 14 ,, AT START RELAY ,, NO PLUGS IN,,, START VOLTAGE GOES DOWN TO 9.8 AT STARTER METER GROUND AT BATTERY
STARTER SPINNING,,,, GETTING WARM +++ .....2 PLUGS IN ,, STARTER STALLS WONT TURN,,,, VOLTAGE GOES DOWN TO 6,7,
10 AMP CHARGER HOOKED TO BATTERY ON CHARGE ALL DAY
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
STARTER SEEMS 2 B DRAWING A LOT OF CURRENT PARTICULARLY AT STALL / SLOW SPEEDS
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I AM GOING TO TAKE BATTERY OUT OF CAR TRY THIS FRESH HOT BATTERY ??
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Ok we have a voltage deliver issue to the start solenoid and starter. The positive battery cable is suspect. Let do another test connect the volt meter to the battery and crank the engine what is your voltage reading?

For the start circuit to work correctly you need 9.5+ volts to the start solenoid to turn the engine over. The starter will get hot due to lack of voltage or starter failure.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
NO,,, BATTERY RELOCATED 2 FT FROM STARTER ,,, NEW HEAVY CAR GAUGE CABLE FROM MARINE TERMINAL TO ***** STARTER SOLENOID DROPS 1,2,3 VOLTS
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Check the voltage at the battery when cranking the engine.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
SWAPPED CAR BATTERY WITH 99 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER,,,,,,, WONT START,,,,,, NO SPARK ,,,,,,,,,, CAR BATTERY IN BOAT DROPS FROM 13 .7 TO 10 BATTERY NOT THE ISSUE ,,,,,,STARTER IN BOAT DRAWING BIG AMPS WITH NO PLUGS IN,,,,, TURNS MODESTLY BY HAND REMEMBER THIS ENGINE HAS NO NEUTRAL SITS ON TOP OF TRANSMISSION GOING TO PUMP CONFUSED ??? CAR HAS NO SPARK BOAT STARTER WONT TURN ENGINE WITH 2 PLUGS IN ROERT E LEE SAID AHHH QUIT
PUMP NOT ON CAR HAS NO SPARK SWAPPING BATTERY BOAT STARTER DRAWING BIG CURRENT
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Ok the starter is the problem. When they get old they will start to draw allot of amperage which pulls the voltage down. Replace the starter. You might disassemble the starter and check the brushes it could be bad brushes.

Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Post the engine model number and I can get you a list of available parts for the starter. If you don't have the model number model year will work.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
NOT FINISHED,,, EXISTING STARTER ,,,,WONT TURN ENGINE WITH 2 PLUGS IN ??? NOT THE BATTERY OR CABLE
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

If the cables are good and the battery is good then you have a bad starter pulling to much amperage what else could it be?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
RIGHT,,, SEEMS LIKE BAD STARTER WITH,, NO SPARK PLUGS IN ENGINE SEEMS TO TURN WITH MODEST RESISTANCE GL KENDALL GETTING DARK
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Correct we aren't interested in what the starter does with no spark plugs in as you can't run the engine with plugs out. We have eliminated the battery cables and the battery leaving the starter as the problem. It isn't the solenoid as the starter is turning. The engine turning freely tells us it isn't an engine issue. So replace the starter or check the brushes and see if you have a bad set of brushes.

Post back if you need further assistance.

Please don't for get to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get credit for helping you.

To rate click on the stars at the top of the page 3 or more please.

Follow up questions are always welcome.

Here is a direct link to me for future issues.http://www.justanswer.com/boat/expert-suntan/