Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Just boat old boat with what I believe is a 61' Merc 400. I

Customer Question

just boat old boat with what I believe is a 61' Merc 400. I would like to be able to run motor with garden hose as compared to trash can of water. Inlet location is just not obvious to me?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Very hard to start when cold. No issue once warm
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

the water pick ups are going to be either on the side of the gear case, that would be several holes in a line, or it is located directly above the prop as a small screen. There are flushing devices for both types. If it is above the prop, the prop needs to come off to use a flusher.