Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1988 Sea ray 268DA. with a 7.4L (454) w/ a Bravo 1

Customer Question

I have a 1988 Sea ray 268DA. with a 7.4L (454) w/ a Bravo 1 outdrive. a month ago the boat ran beautiful, 2 weeks ago, it wouldn't get on plane ,2500rpm, ran fine, push the throttle, it sounded like a slipping transmission in a car. It would Rev up to 4800rpm's, but go nowhere.. No rubber smell. 1st Choice was spun the prop hub, replaced everything, no difference, pulled the outdrive, no shavings, or rubber, Put a shaft into the coupler with a pipe on the end, and a big breaker bar on the harm balancer, couldn't turn anything, next, figured it had to be the clutch in the upper half of the lower unit, merc. mech. looked at it and said" yep, that's the problem" he rebuilt the upper at a high cost. still the same thing. I'm out of ideas
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Hi Matt, good morning my name is Jason.

How does the bottom of the boat look, is there any growth on it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
pull ed d it out and pressure washed it while I had the outdrive off. no difference
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Are there any transducers mounted to the boat anyplace? Either on the transom or through hull mounted?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
pulled boat on hoist, and pressure washed the bottom while I had the outdrive off
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
one for my garmin gps/ fish finder. But that has been on for a year or more, and it was clean, and has made no different in the past, like sucking air, or cavitation
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

What kind of condition is the propeller itself it, does it have any dings in it, or is it perfect?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
brand new prop, my first thought was that the prop hub spun. put on a new prop, took the old mirage ss prop to a prop shop, they called me said there was nothing wrong with hub.
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Is there any wobble at all in the prop shaft? If you kneel down next to the propeller and spin it by hand, can you see any wobble at the end of the shaft?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
next I thought the worst, bad coupler, no burnt rubber smell, pulled outdrive, no shavings. took an old shaft welded a steel bar to it with a socket welded to it. put a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer, and wedged it against a stringer, put a breaker bar on the shaft out of the coupler, with a pipe on it. could not get the coupler to slip
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
tried to move the prop up and down, and side to side, no play there
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
a merc certified mechanic said it had to be the clutch in the upper half of the outdrive. he rebuilt it. NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no, put a runout indicator on the shaft. it was almost perfect, I think it was less than 1/10,000 out