Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Jason, Two weeks ago, I replaced the starter solenoid

Customer Question

good evening jason
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Two weeks ago, I replaced the starter solenoid because when I started the engine, the starter motor kept running after the engine started and also after I shut off the key.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: yes, before replacing the solenoid, I checked out all of the wiring from the switch, in the control to the engine. After ringing out all of the wiring, I found that the solenoid was bad. When I closed up the control, unknowingly the positive wire coming into the control was on top of the ground screw in the control. Therefore turning a ground wire into a positive hot 12volt to the starter solenoid, and also backfeeding 12 volts to the ground on the rectifier/regulator. Not Good. I also found the 20 amp fuse was blown. After replacing the fuse, I also found a burned wire, one of the yellow ones,coming from the rectifier to the white power block where the tach goes to the dash.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
also my engine is a 1989 Mercury 115hp 4 cylinder 2 stroke.
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.

I have read everything that you wrote, but I do not see a question there. How is it that I may assist you best?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Good morning Charles, in response to your answer, with 12 volts backfeeding all components through the ground, what damage has been done causing no spark to the plugs. possible rectifier, regulator, or switch box. Or where can I look first
to try and figure all this out. Thanks, Kevin
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.

You could have shorted out the switchbox and even the stator.

Remove the red and the blue wires from the switchbox. you will need a digital multimeter to test it.