Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a 5hp Tohatsu motor and it keeps on needing a

Customer Question
carburator cleaning. It will...
I have a 5hp Tohatsu motor and it keeps on needing a carburator cleaning. It will not start, gets flooded very easily. I take it apart, clean it, it runs just fine for a week or so (5 - 10 outings), then starts acting up again. I take it apart, clean it and everything is fine again. As of right now I have not replaced any of the jets or rubber parts yet. Is there something I should be replacing. I should mention, I own th eVictoria Sailing School and have 15 of these motors (all identical).
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Don't think so
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/22/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

The carburetors are getting dirty because the fuel you are using isn't being filtered, or rather filtered enough. How do you go about adding fuel to the engines, do you just carry around 5 gallon gas cans and fill them up as needed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I go to the marina fuel dock and fill up the tanks, but I just went through all of the motors, transferring all of the fuel from one tank to another and then back through o water separation filter. Did not find much gunk. All the motors have in line fuel filters and they are all clean. Is there one of the rubber pieces (such as the fuel float valve) that the ethanol will effect. I am not using ethanol fuel at this time, but I can imagine previous owners may not have been as careful.

The problem with 4 stroke carburetor motors is they are extremely fussy in regards ***** ***** clean the fuel is because the internal passageways are so rediculilously small that they will clog at the slightest hint of trash, and they will also clog on water. What my recommendation would be is to get yourself a fuel caddy type dispenser that comes with a pump. And then mount to that caddy a fuel water separating filter. The filters on the engine are about as good as filtering fuel through panty hose, and they don't catch any water. What I would do is get something like this, in this link;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BM87YFI/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000AXRL1&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=M0T2FK3P6Q17BP1TB4DB

Then mount to that this type of filter - https://www.amazon.com/Sierra-International-18-7983-1-Marine-Separator/dp/B001HBX3AK/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1471897472&sr=1-2&keywords=fuel+water+separator+kit

Use that to fill the outboards. Or, use that to fill small 2 or 3 gallon gas cans. Make sure the gas cans are clean as well. Lastly, on the motors, check and make sure the tanks on those are clean. Also check to make sure the fuel lines are not deteriorating on the insides. You can do this 2 ways. The first way is to fold the line in half, if you can see it cracking on the outside, then it will be cracking on the inside as well. Also, stick a blowgun in the end of the fuel lines and a clean white paper towel at the other end. Blast compressed air through the lines, and make sure no black bits end up in the paper towel at the other end.

If you had big inboard engines, like V8's then you wouldn't have to deal with this. But on the 4 strokes the carbs are just so small that they clog up if you look at them the wrong way. Filtration is the key to keep this from happening over and over.

I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Was there anything else?

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.

Thanks

Jason

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, I had to close down the computer yesterday in the middle of out conversation. The motors are 2 stroke motors and I have polished the fuel.

I'm sorry I didn't realize they were 2 strokes. That doesn't really change anything other than the ease of cleaning. They are needing to be cleaned all of the time because dirty fuel is running through them.

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic