Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2015 50 hp. 4 stroke. I have hit rocks (not hard)

Customer Question

I have a 2015 50 hp. 4 stroke. I have hit rocks (not hard) and there is no visible damage except fro a scratched skag. I get 3 lights on on the dashboard, the beep, and then nothing. The kill switch is properly engaged, it is in neutral, and all the fuses are fine. Could you please let me know what the problem can be and why it is not starting.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Did the engine stall when you hit the rocks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The motor did not stall initially, only when I went to put it in neutral. We did bump 3 or 4 times at slow speed.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Will the engine crank over and not start or will it not crank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine will not crank. I get three lights on the dashboard, the beep, and then nothing. There is a short hum in the engine and that is it.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Remove the engine cowling, then the flywheel cover. Try to turn the engine by hand.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was at a cottage I had rented for the past week which finished yesterday. I have now taken my boat out of the water and will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Thank you for your assistance.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome. Did you ever try to turn the engine by hand?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was after dark when I received your message and I was tied up the following day so I never did try it.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Would be worth a shot before you took it to the shop.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to take it in for a recall on the starting anyways and a couple of things with the boat.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Did they get it repaired?