Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have triple 2012 300 Verados and the center motor will

Customer Question
loose power and shut down...
I have triple 2012 300 Verados and the center motor will loose power and shut down and die. I changed the fuel filter and it ran again and a short time later it did the same thing. Took it to dealer and they said noting showed up and when they ran it they did fine. The next day we used the boat and it did ok all day but when returning to the dock at low speed (with motors in sync mode around 1200 RPM) the middle motor died again. The next morning we had a 11 hour return trip home. The next morning they all started and ran the entire trip without a problem but I kept them off sync mode. When running the middle and starboard motor ran pretty close together at 4900-5000 but the port motor was always 300-400 rpm lower? Is it a motor issue or a sync issue?? Is it a faulty FSM? Help. Good news we got home.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/16/2016
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Have you ever received an alarm for the center engine?

does it run warmer than the other two?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Two alarms but not sure from this problem as the dealer said they might be from turning off the batt. before turning off the motors. Throttle control sensor not working properly and fuel float switch not working properly
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Seems strange mat it ran fine for 11 hours but did not have them on sync. Not sure related but felt the sync had something to do with it shutting the middle motor down. I have only owned the boat for a week.

Switching the batteries off before the motors can cause all sort of alarms, provided it happened right after the switch was turned off. It is really odd that when in sync, the middle engine will cut out. That is sounding more like it is the control handle with the sync more than anything else.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry did not answer your question. All engines run at the same temp. So how do I go about fixing the sync issue. Is it still a mercury issue? Is a calibration issue? Can a good Mercury tech figure it out?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They only have 300 hours on them just for info. Also just had 300 hour major service.

A certified Verado tech with the CDS can recalibrate the throttle handles and see if the issue will be resolved by that. If that does not take care of it, the handles may need to be replaced and you may be able to get Mercury to cover part of the cost, as this is a safety issue with the boat. There have been a few handle issues in the past, but I do not recall one like this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry what is a CDS and how do I get Mercury to cover some of the cost if out of warranty?

CDS is the Computer diagnostic System that Mercury dealers have to talk to the Verado engine and its components. They may help as this is a safety concern for your boat.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How doc i find out if there is a recall on the throddles?

Take the engine serial number and the boat serial number to a Mercury dealer and ask them to look it up on MercNet. That is the dealer network where Mercury puts out all of the bulletins.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No recalls on boat or motors.

That stinks. Did they give you a time when they may be able to adapt the handles again?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Everyone is so busy. Two weeks. But they seem to run ok off sync so will still give it a go until they can check them out.

Two weeks out is not that bad for this time of year. I really think that there is something amiss with the throttle. Perhaps when they scan the command modules, they will locate a fault there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Me too!

I wish that I could do more on my end.

Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic