Benimur
Benimur, Boat Enthusiast
Experience:  25+ years on the field
13948492

1999 Honda BF 90, won't start, battery charged, motor makes

Customer Question

1999 Honda BF 90, won't start, battery charged, motor makes clicking noise when turn key.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Benimur replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bob and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) would be to re-inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring as a preliminary consideration. More importantly, have the battery externally charged and also LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Still, determine if the clicking is from the motor itself or the starter solenoid.

Locate the starter solenoid above the starter motor. Start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to the big terminal of the starter solenoid.

• • jump the 2 big terminals of the starter solenoid. Expect a big spark. If it does not crank, then possibly a cable and/or terminal issue or even a starter motor issue;
  • • if it does crank, then it confirms the solenoid and not the motor as the most likely culprit.

The prescribed approach is a bench test of the starter motor ass'y.

In some instances, it may be a bearing/sleeve issue and/or carbon brushes + commutator segments

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Louie, I'm sorry but my problem is with my Honda BF90 outboard motor, not a motorcycle. Please redirect my question to an outboard motor professional. thank you.
Expert:  Benimur replied 1 year ago.

I understand.

I have forwarded the category change request to a moderator and opted out.

Still, good luck with the starter motor.