Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a mercury classic 50, 45 hp 88 model starts good runs

Customer Question

i have a mercury classic 50, 45 hp 88 model starts good runs well wont get up on plan. sluggish at full speed
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What is the story on this engine, have you ever personally seen it make full power under a load?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason, I'm Ray, no sir it belongs to a neighbor, apparently it's an on going problem. Stars ok runs well through mid range, but won't power up .4cylinder, two carb. Problem seems to be on number 4. Kept it on trailer in water , ran in gear full throttle pulling spark plug wires #4 made least amount of different. Compression is 130 all the way across.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had a spark tester hooked to #4 .looked good. Timing on30 degrees. Full throttle in gear
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ray. Got it. Out of curiosity what kind of spark tester did you use? Do you have a timing light to check spark that way?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a timing light but I used one of those little inline tester s
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Does the tester have an adjustable gap that you can adjust, or is it like one of those bulb style testers, like a regulator light bulb or a neon type of bulb?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, I do have a timing light, but used inline tester
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not adjustable, just a light, but can borrow one that is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me tell you carbs were junk, found a set of a 40 hour and put them on. Ran great but way to lean. Put bigger jets in and problem came back. But if I lean it at all plugs are white. Checked for intake leaks found nothing. Even reeds look good.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you at sea level or at high altitude? Changing jets isn't something that's done unless you are bouncing between altitudes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha, I know but I changed them ,1, because of different hp, even though carbs were same, 2,, because the plugs were showing signs of being way too lean. They were white
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Did the plugs have any mocha color to them, or did they look like white/almost new plugs?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ray. Just checking in. I never heard back from you. Do you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning Jason, no been waiting on you sorry plugs are white and dry, Checked for intake leaks none found.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Did the plugs have any mocha color to them or do they look like new plugs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
white, and dry, almost like new
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Got it.

When water gets into a cylinder it will flash to steam, and steam clean the inside of the cylinder, including the plugs inner insulators. This is what makes the plugs look like new. If all of the plugs are white, then you either have water in the fuel, and water is getting in that way. Or, the exhaust cover gasket is bad, and allowing water to get into the cylinders that way. The exhaust cover is the metal plate on the side of the motor that has something like 20+ bolts on it.

I don't know how you want to leave this but that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be checked. I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason I want to fix the boat, I hope you will stay with me till we get it figured out. I've used the site before . When we finish I'll do that. I'll check the water jacket and get back. Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason opened up the water jacket gasket was fine no sign of a leak. No sign of water in cylinder s. I have seen how water does before. More of a dry lean look. Light, light tan color
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If that's the case then those carbs you got are either dirty, the wrong ones for the engine, or the right ones for the engine but they have the wrong jets in them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They had fifths in them ,the ones on the other carb went legible.