Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

228 MERCRUISER STARTS AND RUNS GREAT IF I PUT THE BATTERY

Customer Question

228 MERCRUISER STARTS AND RUNS GREAT IF I PUT THE BATTERY SWITCH TO BOTH. SOME TIMES IT WORKS WITH ONE ? I CHECKED BATTERIES THEY ARE FINE. WHEN RUNNING THEY SHOW CHARGING AROUND 14.6. PLEASE HELP.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: WHILE RUNNING THE IS A CLICKING SOUND NOW AND THEN. SOUNDS ELECTRICAL. I HAVE CLEANED MOST EVERY WIRE END POSSIBLE. ONE NEW BATTERY AND ONE BEEN IN FOR A WHILE. DID HAVE THEM CHECK BOTH GOOD.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

The battery switch itself might be the problem. Do you have a hand held digital volt meter and do you know how to take voltage measurements?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE DONE SO AND THE BATTERIES SHOW GOOD. AND WHILE RUNNING THEY SHOW CHARGING.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you near the boat now, and do you have a helper? (you will need helper for the tests)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO JUST MY SELF
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MAYBE YOU CAN GIVE ME SOME POINTERS TO TRY FIRST. THEN WHEN I HAVE BOAT ALREADY TO START MAYBE WE CAN TALK. THANKS.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Is this a electrical clicking or could it be the shutters in the exhaust. Does it only make the sound at idle? Can you do a recording of the sound? Post it on Youtube and send me the link. Sounds can be hard to troubleshoot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does sound like the back toward outdrive. I am going to the boat in about a hour then i will be sble to answer better. Its a 1984 228 mercruiser. Is there a way yo directly start engine wwith one battery and bypassing switch ? Thanks.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

You would have to pull the switch from it mount and connect the bat #1 or 2 to the com terminal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which is the comon terminal. Im learnging everyday. At 61 i should no these things.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

The com terminal is the cable that run to the starter on the engine. It is usually the bottom center terminal and are usually labeled.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE REPLACED THE BATTERIE SWITCH. I BELIEVE NOW I HAVE ONE BAD BATTERY GOIN TO HAVE IT CHECKED. WITH THE METER I CHECKED BOTH BATTERIES WITH ENGINE RUNNING AND ONE OF THE BATTERIES SHOWED 14.7 AND WHEN RUNNING WITH THE OTHER IT SHOWED 18.4 ? CHECKED MORE THAN ONCE
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

We need to check voltage output at the orange wire on the back of the alternator to know what the exact output is of the alternator. Bad batteries can cause all kinds of strange readings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I GETTING TO NO HOW TO USE THE METER NOW. HOW DO I ATTACH THE METER TO GET A GOOD READING
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Connect the black test lead to an good ground any metal on the block is ground or where any black wire is connected. Then put the red test lead on the orange wire on the alternator. Could be a red wire but it will be the fat wire.

Sratr engine read voltage at various rpms.