Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Own a bayliner with 5.7l gxi engine Seems to be losing

Customer Question

own a bayliner with 5.7l gxi engine Seems to be losing power.will tick over and go along fine at low reves but when you reach top end revs seems to die a little untill back in lower range then is fine?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: ok
JA: What else should I tell the Marine Mechanic?
Customer: own a bayliner with 5.7l gxi engine Seems to be losing power.will tick over and go along fine at low reves but when you reach top end revs seems to die a little untill back in lower range then is fine? its a Volvo penta engine
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Try running the engine on a different fuel source. Your symptoms are of fuel starvation. This can be caused by deteriorated fuel lines, sticking anti siphon valve, restricted fuel vent or debris in the fuel tank. These are all part of the boat side fuel system. Then the other things that can cause your issue is a failing fuel pump or clogged fuel system. So since this is a process of elimination we can eliminate allot of issues just by running the engine on a different fuel source (5gallon gas can). THis will tell us if we have a fuel supply issue or an engine issue.

Is this something you can do?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Does it sound as if the engine has any faults as in worn out ? Or would it react differently ?
Expert:  Tan replied 11 months ago.

You would have to do a compression test. The engine will have to be scanned for any faults with a computer.

From your symptoms I think you have a fuel starvation issue.

How does the engine look over all?