Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2003 Volvo Penta 5.0 liter that will start but will

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Volvo Penta 5.0 liter that will start but will not stay running. I have checked that the pump is pumping. I have replaced the filter. I have also unplugged and cleaned the connector to the fuel pump. Then last thing I did was run two separate wires from the battery to the fuel pump to make it a constant on, and the problem still persists. The boat sat for 2 years. When I put it away it had a full tank of fuel with stabilizer in it.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Nothing that I can think of off the top of my head
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What is the model number on this engine?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Gxi
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
serial
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Got it. Now what kinds of questions did you have?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a 2003 Volvo Penta 5.0 that won't stay running. It will start fine and then I look for a second and shut off. I have checked that the fuel pump is working by disconnecting the lines and running the pump. I unplugged the electrical connector and ran hard wires to electrical pump to make sure it was not the issue. I just replaced the fuel filter, the distributor cap and rotor. The boat sat for 2 years. It was put away with a full tank of fuel with sta-bil in it. It also has two brand new batteries. So I guess my question is at this point what's my next step what do I need to do?
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

have you measured fuel pressure to see if it drops pressure before it stalls?

Are you trying to run this on the 2 year old fuel in the tank?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No actually the fuel apparently was stolen or evaporated. I added 40 gallons of fresh fuel before I tried starting it. And no I have not put a meter on the fuel pump
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It will stay running if I spray starting fluid over the top of the throttle body while it's running
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Gxi's are a family of engines, there should be at least 1 more letter after the Gxi, do you have that handy so I can see exactly which engine you have (I ran the serial number you gave but that serial is actually for the sterndrive, not engine)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
IMG_20130521_082703_423
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
At this point that's all I can give you I'm nowhere near the boat. I won't be anywhere near the boat for a week
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Is this a throttle body injected engine or MPI?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
IMG_20130520_120142_003
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is an MPI engine