Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I just bought a 2004 sugar sand jet boat. It ran fine for

Customer Question

I just bought a 2004 sugar sand jet boat. It ran fine for about an hour then it started surging. It revs up then down under load and continues no matter what the rpm. At any throttle position even reverse. I changed the plugs. Still does it any ideas
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jim. My name is Tan.

Surging is a fuel starvation issue. Has the boat been sitting unused for awhile?

Can you get an auxiliary fuel source and run the engine on that fuel source?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sure I could. Yes it sat for a bit. Should I change the fuel filters
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Yes change all the filters and run on a different fuel source. If runs better then we know the fuel in the fuel tank is an issue. Now you might get lucky and change the fuel filters and that might solve the problem. But I suspect the fuel in the tank is contaminated and causing your problem as the boat ran good at first till all the debris in the tank got stirred up and clogged the fuel filters.

The options are take a chance a change the filters run the boat. Then when it acts up again change the filters again. You could do this process a couple of times and it might solve the issue. The other option is to change the filters see if that solves the issue. If yes pump the tank and start with fresh fuel.

Does this make sense?