Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Looking at buying a 1999 sears with a 130 on the back and

Customer Question

Looking at buying a 1999 sears with a 130 Johnson on the back and was looking for info on the motor. It seems that the motor was built for salt water. Yes?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Boat and motor for $3500 which seems a bit low and makes me suspicious. Any thoughts?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Haven't seen either yet, looking for questions to ask or issues to be concerned with.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

I would get a compression test done on the motor have it checked out by a mechanic. Then take the boat for a ride before purchase. This is a must this is the only way to know if there is any engine issues. If they won't go for a boat ride walk away as there is something wrong. That would be like buying a car before test driving it.

You have to consider the age of the boat and engine they are 17 years old. So it could have many things wrong with it engine wise just from age alone. The boat needs to be inspected very closely also look for soft spots in the floor and the transom of the boat. Just walk around the floor of the boat you will feel the soft spots. The transom can be checked but having the motor tilted in the up position then grab the lower unit and lift up and down. Watch the transom does it flex.

Now the most important thing you can do is take the boat for a ride as if there are any engine issues they will show up as low on power and poor performance.

Post back with questions.

Thank you...Tan

These are good motors and are designed for salt water application.