Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have 90hp optimal and have removed the faulty oil

Customer Question

Hi I have 90hp optimal and have removed the faulty oil reservoir but I must remove the side cover to install new oil bottle I have removed screws and a nut that I could see but its stead fast like it's still bolted somewhere I must remove to put new oil bottle in correctly but can't see screw or bolt holding it
Thanks wayne
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No I don't think so
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 12 months ago.

Hello Wayne, my name is***** will assist you.

How many bolts did you take out?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thamkyou im not a mechanic but I have rebuilt diesel engines no probs but the side cowling just will not come off if I try it's like there is something internal at base of motor holding it stead fastjoined
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The ones at the front three inside where the latch is not outside lower dos and a nut on a thread lower down
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
At the front when I try to pull the cover away it's like there is a nut or screw Iinside I have taken the cover off the other outboard less wires but see nothing else holding the cover
The Mercury machsnic told me today 4bolt screws and a nut on lower side I found all but I'm afraid it will snap if I pull to hard Ivan here it starting to crack
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hey Charles are you there
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I don't want to talk on phone
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The mechanic I spoke to said the side cover would just fall off but no way
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have checked rechecked 8hours today
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Oh can you please help I'm a pensioner very little money
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
If I am charged for this I will go to the Aust Government you people will be banned for profiteering
Expert:  Charles replied 12 months ago.

Hello again, you replied at 430 AM my time and I was not online. These are the bolt locations. If you have all of them removed, the lower pan would be stuck on the gasket and you just have to pull hard to get it freed up.