Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a 2006 mer 115 4 stroke efi that has been sitting for

Customer Question
almost 3 years. drained the...
i have a 2006 mer 115 4 stroke efi that has been sitting for almost 3 years. drained the old gas and put 91 octane in, put the motor in the water. I got a beeping noise for a little bit, Motor started firing after awhile but stopped. The motor startedn but was no water coming out of the spout, but it soon started pumping. The motoer ran for about 5 mins then stopped. It started right up again but only for a minute then stopped again. It was running a little rougher thatn usual. I tried to start again it was firing but did not start until the battery was getting low.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It had new oil inb top and bottom when i stored it and the oil was stillnew when i checked,
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also the fuel filter is new
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I only ran the boat a few times a year to take the kids out since the past 7 years
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was thinking that the old gas in the engine made it run rough, i should have revved the engine to get it out, but only idled it,
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have a 2006 mer 115 4 stroke efi that has been sitting for almost 3 years. drained the old gas and put 91 octane in, put the motor in the water. I got a beeping noise for a little bit, Motor started firing after awhile . The motor started but was no water coming out of the spout, bu tit soon started pumping. The motor ran for about 5 mins then stopped. It started right up again but only for a minute then stopped again. It was running a little rougher than usual. I tried to start again it was firing but did not start until the battery was getting low.i retyped and cleared up the errors
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
never had problems with outboard before like i said hardly used it
7/29/2016
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Did you install a primer bulb in the new fuel line?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry could you explain what that is
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
oh i see no i didnt
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but it was priming
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i checked that and it was full
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
or there was fuel in it after running
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it seemed old and i think i need anew one though
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
one thin i notice is the hose before the fuel bulb flat where it exits the fuel tank
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
was flat
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
could that restrict the fuel
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ididn't install a new fuel line only a fuel filter before i stored the boat

do you have the serial number on the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its a 2006 mercury 115 4 stroke efi where would i find the serial number
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i can get it yes

It is located on the right side of the swivel tube.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok give me 5 mins

Sure thing

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1400-898032-c
2
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
3425-8288339
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that number is ***** the inside on the motor

It will start with a 1B, followed by 6 more numbers. It is important because 2006 was a model change for Mercury, I need to know exactly which one you have.

Its on a small sticker

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will it be under the cowling

Did you see the pic I sent?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but there is no sticker there
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
u have a better picture i cant tell
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
http://www.pantherrunmarina.com/new_vehicle_compare.asp?veh1=426066&veh2=26636&go2=Gothe one on the right
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
25 inch transom
u see the pic i sent on the right 2006
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
http://www.pantherrunmarina.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=26636&CatDesc=&=#detail

ok, got it. Now that I know which you have, we can move forward. Have you tested the fuel pressure at the fuel rail when the enigne is keyed up?

Yes, I saw the pic.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no Charles I'm not much of a mechanic, but thats what I thought as well , it seemed like not getting enough fuel, and You know where the fuel line comes out of the top of the water well,the fuel line was flattened i guess from sitting, I put some electrical tape there and planned on repairing the fuel line tomorrow, could that have restricted the fuel enough to cause the problem?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good name by the way it was my Dad's name
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i'm going to get a new fuel bulb and line tomorrow
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
as they are degraded from the weather

Any flattening of the fuel line can cause a restriction. Can you rent a gauge to check the pressure. I do not want to lead you down the wrong path with troubleshooting something that may not be a problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im sure i could rent a guage, just give me a rundown and I;m sure i could handle it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is it called afuel pressure guage? only for outboards?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
something like this?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsqBJxKj1KQ
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
or herehttp://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/engine-frequently-asked-questions-faq/290505-how-to-testing-your-boats-fuel-system

In the video, it is the standard pressure gauge. If you loot at your fuel rail on the back left of the engine, you will see a test port, it is like a car tire valve. Gauge screws onto there, pump the primer bulb until firm, then turn the key on. Watch the pressure on the gauge. It should come up to around 40 PSI.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok i will do that tomorrow thanks

Most auto parts stores will let you rent one. Let me know the pressure and we can go from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will do
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is my first time on this site i assume this chat will be saved

Yes it is saved, I see the entire thing. When you reply, it comes directly to me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
great thanks for the help

Your welcome. Talk to you soon.

Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic