Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Mercury 115 hp 2008, stalls when motor becones warm, 5-6

Customer Question
minutes after haven start the...
Mercury 115 hp 2008, stalls when motor becones warm, 5-6 minutes after haven start the engine. I,e. It stalls when motor becones warm.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/28/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Andre my name is Jason.

What is the serial number on the engine?

Have you checked or do you have the ability to check both fuel pressure and spark output?

Are you still with me?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have tried to find the serial number, not easy. Looks like(###) ###-####02-AD, or 800406, or 8m0029551 not sure where the number is ***** Anyway, sparks plug chaged in 2015. Fuel is fine until the motor gets warm.

see picture - http://outboardpowerheads.com/serialnumbertag.jpg

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still waiting for your feedback Jason

I'm still waiting for you, do you see the reply I left you at 5:35 PM EST?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I did not see your reply at 5.35pm
I will repost it see picture - http://outboardpowerheads.com/serialnumbertag.jpgHave you checked or do you have the ability to check both fuel pressure and spark output?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Received. I do not have the ability to check both fuel pressure and spark output. I will go back to check the serial number Jason.

If you do are not able to check fuel pressure or spark what kinds of questions did you have for me?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, I am not a mechanic. Are ordinary people usually knows and have the tools to measure gas pressure and spark output?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My question is easy. What are the possible causes?

There is nothing easy about it. There are way to many things to list, I could speculate for hours.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok then Jason, it means that my issue can not be resolved by E mails.
Sorry.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Without being a mechanic, I found out that my air filter made from sponge disappeared few days ago. i have changed it with a new one.
Is it possible that dirt came into my low pressure gaz filter?
Thanks Jason for you answer.
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Do you still need assistance on the motor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did not receive assistance so far, just questions. Again since my air filter collapsed and possibly some small parts went into the carburetor and fuel filter should I try to first change the lower pressure gaz filter?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Charles, sorry for the delay. Yes, the identification number is ***** Model Jan 2008 115XL4S sold in Canada.

Thanks, ***** ***** motor stalls, does it actually die, or just lose RPM? Is there a primer bulb in the fuel line going to the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Relevant questions Charles. The motor looses RPM and dies a few second afterwards. No, there are no primer bulb going to the RPM. I removed the gas cap earlier today, and the motor ran very well at idle for about 16 minutes, then stalled. Maybe a coincidence but at the same time high waves appeared. Maybe there is water in the thank. I will check later tonight when there is no waves/shaking so if there is water in the tank there will be no mix with gaz. Hope we will be kept in touch Charles.

If there is water in the tank, it would be on the bottom, the fuel would be on top of it. But the engine would have not run for so long. When you get to the boat, remove the fuel line from the front of the engine, then look inside it to see of it is coming apart.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The motor ran Very well on idle this morning for 20 minutes, then stalled. Fine I will change the fuel filter, and check the gaz line on Tuesday. Thanks Charles for you advice.

Did your alarm happen to sound when the engine stalled?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No Charles, no alarm, just like if there were no gaz or air going to the motor.

Make sure that the fuel line going to the engine from the boat is not collapsing internally.

Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic