Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Have a 2001 Yamaha 1200r, multifunction unit, had gotten

Customer Question
water in it and shorted...
have a 2001 Yamaha 1200r, multifunction unit, had gotten water in it and shorted out. Got a new one, but the warning alarm is the only thing that comes on. The one that had water in it, would not show anything when plugged in. My question is how to get the remaining portion of unit to light up and to restart engine?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: The waverunner was flipped several times before the unit would not restart on the last time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Warning light, buzzer and the water temperature comes on when you hit the start button. Speedometer, fuel or hours do not show. Plus engine will no make an attempt to start or turn over starter. With all connections made on the back of the multifunction meter, being hooked up.
7/27/2016
Marine Mechanic: RSRBOB, Technician replied 1 year ago
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician

Hi and thank you for your question.

Was the ski flipped upside down in salt water?

Did the hull get a lot of water in it as a result of flipping over?

How much time, in days, weeks or months elapsed between the time it flipped over and you replacing the Multi function meter?

Have you checked the battery for condition and load capacity since the ski flipped?

Thanks

Customer/p>
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Answer to question 1 - No. 2. Yes, there was a fair amount, took both plugs out and drained for a couple minutes. No. 3. A couple of weeks as to replacing multi-function meter. No. 4. - Battery at full charge.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Plugs referring to were the plugs at the end of the waverunner, not spark plugs.

Thank you for the additional information.

At this point, a voltage drop test is in order. Put your DCV meter across the battery terminals and hit the starter button. Let me know what the voltage is before and after hitting the starter button and we can go from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The reading on my multimeter before I hit the start button was 12.35V then when the start button was hit went down to 12.14V before leveling out at 12.22V. After the buzzer stopped and the LCD of the multifunction meter went out, it went up to 12.32V.Also, the jet ski was in fresh water, not salt water. Sorry for the mixup, I must've missed that when I read it the first time.

Since the voltage is not dropping very much, there is an issue with the starter circuit. It should be drawing more amps than that and shows as more of a voltage drop. I suggest checking to see what the voltage is on the starter wire side of the starter relay to see if it is functioning properly. This is starting to sound like a bad ground circuit.

Customer/p>
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After taking off the cover of the electrical box I was able to check the voltage of the battery lead across to the black wire that goes to the ignition coils. This was at 12.11V before the start button was pushed and dropped down 11.88V once the start button was pushed. On the opposite side of the starter relay, starter motor lead and the starter motor relay wire (brown wire) initially ready 0V and then 10.55V once the start button was pushed. Also there is some water that was inside the electrical box, which can be seen in the second photo.

Beautiful pictures. :)

What we are looking for however is putting your (+) lead of your meter on the red heavy cable leaving the starter relay going to the starter motor, and the black ( - ) lead of your meter on the negative terminal of the battery. The black wires are ground, and testing the ground side of coils is not relative to the starter motor function.

You should not have any voltage on the red cable going to the starter motor until you press the start button. Then is when you want to get your meter reading. I suspect you are going to see zero volts though.

Customer/p>
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
basically, it is either going to be starter relay or starter itself?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked the voltage between the starter motor cable and the negative of the battery and my multimeter read 0V. When I pushed the start button it would go up to 4.3mV, and return to 0V in a matter of seconds after the start button was released.

OK, it sounds like your starter relay has failed. You should get pretty close to battery voltage through the starter relay. Unless those same red cables get hot when you hold the starter button, it is not allowing enough current to flow through it to energize the starter motor. You will need to replace the starter relay. If you want to make sure nothing else is wrong, you can jump across those two terminals on the relay and the starter motor should crank.

Customer/p>
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did replace relay and connected everything. The engine was able to be turned over and everything works on the multi-functional meter except the water temp gauge. In addition, when the engine does turn over, it doesn't sound like it used to. Each revolution there is a banging sound coming from engine. Any ideas. Hopefully not a new engine.

I am glad we correctly diagnosed and repaired your original problem. Now for the next problem. Banging inside the engine. Obviously this is not good. Since I can't hear it, the safest thing I can recommend is to remove the cylinder head and inspect the pistons and check to see if there is any up and down play in the rod. You can crank the engine over with the head off if you need to. Once you determine the source of the noise I can help you decide a course of action from there.

As far as the water temp gauge not working, typically it is a sensor issue, but that takes a back seat to a banging engine.

Customer/p>

Is there any more information you would need from me at this time?

Customer/p>
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did pull it out of the water and put on trailer. Did just give a very short burst of attempting to start, probably like 3 seconds. Not making as much noise, but there is something still there. Did reach my hand into the impeller area. Two fins do have chips almost all the way through. One has a size of about a dime missing at top towards the engine side. Also looked into that area level with the shaft. Can see light around about 3/4's of the impeller, the bottom is tight can not see any light in that area. Might have worn a groove into the sleeve, and might be where the noise is coming from, as shaft could be bent. That is as far as I have gotten. Will not know more until get into it.

Based on the fact that it makes less noise out of the water would indicate an impeller/pump issue as opposed to an engine issue. Perhaps the ski got flipped over to try and get something out that was stuck in the pump.

It sounds like the impeller is beyond saving, from what you described. I would suggest pulling the pump out and getting a good close look at the impeller and housing. Check to make sure the prop shaft itself did not get bent also.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

If you are satisfied with my services, please accept and rate them.

Thank you

Customer/p>
RSRBOB
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician